Mail-In Title Instructions
Titles by Mail, Effective April 6, 2020
Please Read: Important Information
These instructions are provided in an effort to guide you through the basic requirements of transferring or applying for an Ohio certificate of title. It is strongly recommended that you call the office if after reading this document you have additional questions about the process.
All Mail-in Title requests should be sent to:
Auto Title Division
Lorain County Clerk of Courts
226 Middle Avenue
Elyria, OH 44035
You will need to find a notary to notarize signatures where indicated. Please make your check or money order payable to “Lorain County Clerk of Courts” for the exact amount due. Do not send cash.
- I bought a vehicle previously titled in Ohio and wish to title it in my name.
What You Need
- Original Ohio certificate of title with the top portion completed by the seller (this includes the seller's notarized signature), and the middle (odometer certification) and bottom (title application) portions completed by you (including your full Social Security Number and notarized signature)
- If an active lien is reflected on the front of the original title, a lien release letter/form will be needed or the lienholder should complete and sign the front of the title where indicated to release the lien
- If the seller or purchaser is a minor, then the minor's parent must complete and send a BMV 3751 Minor Consent Form (found online on the "Forms and Manuals" tab at the Ohio BMV website - under heading "Vehicle Titles"), including notarization
- Payment of the title fee ($15) plus applicable sales tax on the vehicle purchase price (based on your county of residence). Lorain county sales tax is 6.75%
Example: Vehicle purchase price is $3,000. $3,000 x 0.0675 = $202.50 + $15 = $217.50 Total due
- I lost my Ohio title and want to sell my vehicle to someone.
What You Need
- Ohio law prohibits the sale of a vehicle without transferring the title to the purchaser, so you must apply for a duplicate title by completing a BMV 3774 Application for Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle (found online on the "Forms and Manuals" tab at the Ohio BMV website - under heading "Vehicle Titles"), including notarization
- Payment of the title fee ($15)
Once we have completed the title transfer, your new Ohio title and your receipt will be mailed via regular U.S. mail to the address provided on the title. If this is not the address to which your title should be mailed, then make sure you include a note in your documentation providing the address to use for mailing purposes.
For all other questions or needs, including instructions on titling a vehicle not previously titled in Ohio, please call us at 440-329-5127. Thank you!